Timothy M. Dozois, Esq.
Tim has led large legal teams through complicated transactions but works most effectively as a collaborative member of multi-disciplinary teams, such as the teams that handled dozens of acquisitions and financing transactions for the country’s second largest provider of assisted living facilities and more recently the teams of intellectual property professionals that pursued licensing and litigation initiatives for Pendrell Corporation.
Tim’s strength is navigating the securities laws amidst complicated financing transactions. For clients seeking capital, he has engineered and directed early-stage offerings, structured financings and follow-on public offerings. For clients moving the opposite direction, he has designed and supervised equity redemptions and reverse splits. His crowning achievement was the privatization strategy that transformed Pendrell from a public company to a private company.
In addition to his securities and transactional work, Tim thoroughly enjoys the art and science of negotiating, drafting, and editing all varieties of contracts. Unlike many seasoned lawyers who move from hands-on legal work to legal management, Tim embraces both, executing on complicated work to transform client concept into operative documents and providing legal management to assure budgetary predictability and alignment of interests.
Since 2011, in addition to his work at Pendrell, he has served as an independent director and chair of the audit committee of MacKenzie Realty Capital, an SEC-registered real estate investment trust, and as an independent director of Pinnacle Healthcare, a privately-held owner of senior living properties.
Tim earned his J.D. in 1989 from the University of Oregon, where he was Order of the Coif, and his B.S. in finance from Oregon State University in 1985, as a member of the Blue Key Honor Society. He is admitted to the Oregon State Bar.
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures
- General Corporate
- Corporate and Partnership Tax
- Pendrell Corporation, Chief Legal Officer – Kirkland, WA
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Partner – Portland, OR
- Independent Director and Chair of Audit Committee, MacKenzie Realty Capital
- Independent Director, Pinnacle Healthcare
- Long-time Board Advisor and Pro Bono Counsel, Boys and Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Portland
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law, Order of the Coif
- B.S. Finance, Oregon State University, Member, Blue Key Honor Society
- Designed and implemented privatization strategy that transformed NASDAQ-listed IP investment company into flexible, diversified and tax-sheltered private investment vehicle.
- Monitored and enforced tax benefits preservation plan that successfully preserved $2.5 billion of net operating loss carryforwards.
- Managed and held responsibility for all SEC filings for eight years as chair of disclosure committee.
- Devised and carried out subsidiary dilution plan that prevented millions of dollars of personal holding company tax.
- Negotiated and administered joint ventures with numerous multi-national counterparties, including Microsoft, Nokia and Time Warner.
- Supervised successful multi-million dollar international arbitration proceeding against South African counterpart.
- Documented and closed numerous multi-million dollar patent licenses with sophisticated counterparties, including Amazon, DirecTV, Disney, Hynix, Nokia, Samsung, Western Digital and Toshiba.
- Structured and documented joint venture arrangement that facilitated continued development and successful monetization of multi-million dollar memory portfolio.
- Negotiated and completed sale and transfer of eleven mid-earth orbit satellites and related FCC regulated assets.
- Designed and administered multi-jurisdictional liquidating trust to facilitate divestiture of nine satellite ground stations around the world.
- Oversaw multi-million dollar patent infringement litigation in multiple jurisdictions against sophisticated litigants, including Apple, Blackberry, Google, Huawei, HTC, Kingston, Samsung and SanDisk.
- Conceived and codified fractional interest property model that facilitated acquisition and syndication of dozens of senior living properties.