George J. Awad, Esq.
George J. Awad is the Founder and Managing Director of Intellectual Asset Management Group and serves as Spruce Law’s Special Projects Counsel in select technology, venture, and intellectual property engagements.
Mr. Awad focuses his practice on assisting companies to harvest the greatest value through their life cycle, inclusive of product commercialization, capital financing (private and/or public), intellectual property monetization, roll up, and/or structuring liquidity events. Mr. Awad has worked with domestic and international private and publicly listed companies to develop, deploy, and execute comprehensive financial, technology, intellectual asset development, commercialization, and monetization plans with aplomb.
Prior to joining Spruce Law, Mr. Awad was engaged by the Knox Investment Group (the Family Office of Thomas J. Knox) to act as its Managing Director. In this capacity, Mr. Awad was responsible for strategic investment, business development, syndicated investment, and operational oversight of a diverse investment portfolio spanning domestic and international direct investments, PE/Venture Fund investments, equities, fixed income, and real-estate investments. George also led the investment committee, and in this capacity coordinated the sourcing, due diligence, presentation, and analysis of pipeline investments. On behalf of KIG, Mr. Awad maintained various board appointments and executive roles in various KIG affiliated/invested companies. Exemplary appointments and roles included: Homestead Insurance Company (Board Member, President), ORB Automotive Corporation (Board Member), Akers Biosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKER) (Director of Corporate and Legal Affairs), Claim Watcher (Corporate and Legal Affairs), and INDECS Corp (Corporate and Legal Affairs).
Mr. Awad also spent nearly ten years in private practice representing the gamut of client types and sizes, from startups to Fortune 100 companies. He is also an active supporter of quality education and the arts sitting or having sat on the boards of Rowan University Foundation, Independence Charter School, and the “Philly Pops.”
- Outside General Counsel
- General Corporate and Transactional
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Asset Development and Monetization
- Emerging Growth
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Joint Ventures
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital
- Debt Financing
- Blockchain Technology
- Intellectual Asset Management Group, Founder and Managing Director – Philadelphia, PA
- Portfolio Companies: STEMchain, Ltd., SalesDryve, LLC
- Knox Investment Group, Managing Director – Philadelphia, PA
- Drinker Biddle, IP/Corporate Counsel – Philadelphia, PA
- Woodcock Washburn, IP Counsel – Philadelphia, PA
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Board Member, Rowan University Foundation
- Former Board Member, Encore Services, Inc. (“Philly Pops”)
- Former Board of Trustees Member, Independence Charter School
- Certificate Program, Finance and Accounting, Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania
- J.D., Pepperdine School of Law
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, President (Student Chapter) Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Syndication of Private Placement Capital Raises For Various Tech Based Investment Opportunities.
- Sale of Pharmaceutical Assets to Publicly Traded Company as part of a $200MM Sourced Debt Facility.
- Syndication Of Various Equity Stacks For Numerous Portfolio Deals Exceeding $20MM.
- Resale of Intellectual Assets For a 30 Time Multiple of Acquisition Cost.
- Purchase of Intellectual Asset Portfolio For Publicly Traded Company Which Immediately Added $15MM In Market Capitalization.
- Successful Audit And Valuation Defense Of Intellectual Asset Portfolio Which Was A Closing Condition Of a $53MM Technology Company Acquisition.