Spruce Law’s Intellectual Property Law Practice
A great idea, alone, is not a business. A patent portfolio, unmined or unmanaged, has no value. Your good ideas, unprotected, may be taken by your competitors.
Spruce Law’s Intellectual Property attorneys can help you secure, protect, enforce, and manage your intellectual property portfolio. We can help you identify value in your company to drive up your valuations, or create revenue streams where none existed. When appropriate, our Intellectual Property attorneys coordinate with colleagues across our Corporate, Employment, Litigation, and Real Estate groups to ensure that the 360 degree needs of your business protection and asset optimization are in place. Spruce Law is truly your partner.
Building IP Value. We recognize that today’s energy companies need to be nimble, able to respond to changes in the market in an efficient way, and to capture revenues. They operate in an increasingly competitive, highly regulated environment, in which a strong focus on details and the bottom line can mean the difference between success and failure. Whether you are an established entity and industry leader, a specialty energy company, or an early-stage start-up, you need responsive and experienced legal representation on which you can rely to provide the right advice and to complete critical transactions. We provide the creativity, ingenuity, attention to detail, and tireless drive required to minimize your risks and to get your deals across the finish line.
We build value from your IP portfolio through any of the following offerings:
- We can prepare and file patents, trademarks, and copyrights both domestically and internationally to expand your IP holdings.
- We can host an IP Review Meeting where we review your business and product development to identify untapped IP. It’s rare that we can’t increase the value of your IP portfolio in one of these meetings.
- We will prepare opinions and claim charts analyzing potential infringers in the marketplace, and work with you to decide the best path forward.
- We will draft a technology area analysis that reviews what others are patenting in your field and what areas you may be able to move into.
- We can contact competitors and other market players to negotiate licenses and acquisitions.
- We will put you in touch with venture capital investors and help you negotiate with them as you grow your business.
IP Litigation. IP litigation is usually a last resort when two parties cannot reach agreement. Before you reach that point, however, there are many issues for which you may need advice. You may want to get opinions from an attorney that can potentially shield you from increased damages. Or you may want an opinion from your attorney to evaluate your case before you spend money in litigation. We provide such counsel and advice.
If you determine that litigation is your only option, either as plaintiff or defendant, you will need someone to guide you through the process and we can be that guide based on our experience litigating:
- patent infringement;
- shareholder disputes;
- breach of contract;
- employment agreements;
- copyright infringement;
- trademark infringement;
- trade secret misappropriation;
- unfair competition; and
- many other IP-related matters and transactions.
- Represented a Korean-based company that has a large wireless technology portfolio.
- Helped two universities in the U.S. and one overseas secure patents.
- Negotiated many licenses in technology related to wireless technology, consumer goods, and software.
- Negotiated and settled several patent infringement litigations related to a single consumer product patent to values in the tens of millions of dollars.
- Successfully litigated multiple patent infringement cases before juries.
- Successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in patent infringement cases appealed to the United States Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Successfully litigated and appealed trademark and trade secret actions in federal court.
- Represented numerous companies and investors to secure patent protection for a wide range of technologies, including medical devices, pharmaceutical compositions and methods of use, material science and computer software.